Friday 6 April 2012

Weight Weenie Part 1

I've taken multi pronged approach to "weight weenie-ing" the mountain bike setup this year.  There's a better way at TransRockies/Andes/BC Bike Race, etc. than jamming the provided gear back till the zipper hardly closes and lugging those 62lbs around until I find a tent, when I'm all wimped out after riding a long day.  Before I get to the "why" will come a few key components to the "how".

Below is my old and new sleeping mat.  The old is a 10 year old therma-rest.  It's great, but it's relatively bulky and it's 1.25kg.  The new is the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite which weighs in at a scant 350g, for a 900 gram/2 lb weight saving, not to mention the much smaller packed volume (note the standard plug to left - the Neo is about the size of a water bottle).  Further, the R value is superior to the old one, as convection, conduction and radiation are addressed with similar simple depth, as well as baffles and infrared reflective construction.


Secondly, I've always gone to races with two sets of shoes beyond bike shoes - these Adidas and Birkenstocks most common.  Why does it matter?  It doesn't while riding, but packing the bag during the day with two shoes is pretty much a waste of space.  Too much bulk, and the Adidas Samba plus Birkenstock combo are 1.75kg.  The new substitute, to the right, is a pair of Merrell Trail Glove shoes.  Coincidentally, 350g.  That's another 1.4kg/3lbs gone.  They're also wet/dry wearable given their minimalist construction.

I've been using my MEC Penguin Emperor overbag (750g) as a sleeping bag, despite it's purpose in life being to move a frost layer out on a winter sleep.  It's rated to +15C, which works only for summer sleeping, and warm nights at that.  I can do say 5-10C, but I've had a few pretty cool nights with most of my bike and casual clothes on, especially at TransRockies.  That's nothing a new Western Mountaineering Summerlite can't out do: 0C rated, 525g, packs even a touch smaller (picture a cantaloupe or large grapefruit).  I opted against their even lighter models, as most of those just have shoulder/ribcage length zipper vs. this is full zip, so on warmer nights I can just undo it and use it as a blanket, which I often prefer.  That's only 225g/half a pound savings directly, but I can probably ditch an extra few items/jackets I brought for backup warm sleeping. 



Lastly, my travel tool kit has amassed an array of useful items, however over time it ballooned.  It started at 4.3kg/9.5lbs, I pulled out 1.3kg/2.8lbs so it's about 3.2kg/7lb now, or just under.  It's funny what get's piled up in there, it's almost like having a purse...

I hope to cut back a little on casual layers with Icebreaker, which doesn't end up smelling after a few wears, so it works well for the 3pm through sleep time casual needs at races, and the warmth of the long shirts easily makes it work to carry less layers for cooler days.

All that's within a hair of 4.5kg/10lbs.  That probably takes me about two-thirds of the way through my boy-scout packing exercise.  I'll probably try to squeeze it down a little more, but that's a good start on making room for a spice rack in the race kit!

No comments:

Post a Comment